What is Arthritis?
TCM believes that there are several meridians in the body where blood and “Qi” flows through to nourish the muscles, tendons, body tissues, bones, internal organs and the entire body system. Whenever there is a blockage to these meridians, it hinders a portion of “blood and Qi” with those areas resulting in numbness, soreness or pain, particularly to the joints.
What causes Arthritis?
According to TCM, there are four main elements namely Wind, Dampness, Coldness and Heat that results in Arthritis. An example of Wind, Coldness and Dampness would be one who sleeps with damp hair in an airconditioned room.
- There are different types and causes of Arthritis.
- Each must be treated differently.
- No 1 method that fix all cure.
Types of Arthritis
There are basically five types of Arthritis:
- 行痹, mainly caused by element of Wind. Usually the location of the pain moves around the body and does not fixed at one part of the body. This may be accompanied with a fever or a sense of chill
- 痛痹, mainly caused by the element of Coldness. Pain is usually more severe on a specific part of the body and may get relieved with the application of heat.
- 着痹，mainly caused by the element of Dampness. This is usually accompanied with swelling due to water retention. Feeling of numbness and heaviness in particularly during raining seasons.
- 热痹，mainly caused by element of Heat. Symptoms include red swollen joints with stiffness and severe pain which could appear on multiple joints.
- 久痹, prolonged arthritis results in severe blockage of meridians and blood circulation which affect the function of internal organs.
TCM Arthritis Treatment
Arthritis can be effectively treated with acupuncture, tui-na, acupressure and prescription of TCM herbs.
Acupuncture is a methodology where needles are administered on specific points which are linked to internal organs through the meridians. Imagine the mechanism of a switch and a light bulb, when electric current passes through the wire, the bulb is lit up.
In this analogy, the switch refers to acupuncture points, through the electric wire which acts as meridians that flow electric energy in the form of blood and Qi to the internal organs (i.e. light bulb).
TCM methodology focuses solely on holistic and self healing process, less reliance on medication, with minimal side effect and lasting recovery.
Below are a few of our treatment cases:
Case 1 – Knee pain
Female, age 65. Initially, pain is more severe on the right knee, however it has affected her left knee as she tends to put more stress on her left when walking. She came into the clinic with a walking stick. After first treatment, she feels much better and continue with the consultation for about 8 sessions. Now, she has recovered tremendously, without the use of walking stick and no more pain in her knee.
Case 2 – Sprained ankle
Female, age 32. Sprained her left ankle while walking down stairs. Affected area was swollen with severe pain. Acupuncture and acupressure were administered and affected area was bandaged using TCM herbs. She felt much relieved upon her next day consultation. Similar treatment was administered again and she has fully recovered within the few days.
Case 3 -Tenosynovitis
Male, age 17. Suffer Tenosynovitis on right middle finger resulting in swelling, stiffness and pain. Through blood letting and acupuncture, it instantaneously relieved the stiffness. He recovered after second treatment.
Above information is contributed by our TCM Physician Jason Teow, Diploma in TCM(Singapore college of TCM), Bachelor degree in TCM (Nangjing University of TCM), full registration with TCMPB in year 2004.
Treatment fee from $60 (before GST)
TCM Treatments are only available at Healing Touch Novena branch .
Healing Touch Novena
70 Thomson Rd
Tel: 6715 1515 x 5
(Couple room available)
About 5 mins walk from Novena MRT
For map & guide to public transport, please click here
- Park inside United Square & walk across the road
- Drive into Essex Road from Thomson Road & immediately turn right into a back lane for parking