Each one of us is blessed with a different skin type, which might be normal to us but is in fact quite different from everyone else’s. Determining your unique facial skin type is the first step to caring for your skin correctly, which includes choosing suitable skincare products, and making your skin as perfect as it can possibly be. It just takes a simple 3-step routine to find out your skin type, which can be normal, oily, dry or combination:
Rinse your Face
Use a gentle facial cleanser to wash your face and pat your skin dry. Make sure to remove all traces of makeup, as this step removes accumulated oils and dirt which tend to build up on the skin during the daytime. This step will make your skin feel fresher as well, however, it’s equally important to not over cleanse.
By waiting for an hour, you give your skin enough time to return to its natural state, and exhibit the different characteristics which help you determine your skin type correctly. Make sure to avoid touching your face, as this can irritate facial skin.
Dab Tissue on your Face
After you’re done with waiting, gently dab your skin with a tissue, while paying special attention to your T-zone, which is the area on your forehead and nose.
Establish your Skin Type
There are 4 different skin types – normal, oily, dry and combination.
- Normal – This is not too dry and neither too oily. It is characterised by lack of or few imperfections, no sensitivity issues, barely-visible pores and a smooth and radiant complexion. If you happen to have this skin type, consider yourself lucky!
- Oily – If you have grease on the tissue, your skin is oily. This skin type leads to enlarged pores, dull or shiny complexion, blackheads, pimples and other blemishes.
- Dry – This might feel taut or show flakes or dead skin. It produces barely visible pores, rough complexion, red patches, less elasticity and more visible lines.
- Combination – This skin type can be dry or normal in some areas, and oily in others, such as the nose, forehead and chin. It is also the most common skin type, and can produce overly-dilated pores, blackheads as well as shiny skin.
It should be noted that skin types can change over time. For instance, younger people are more prone to having normal skin as compared to their older counterparts. Skin types and textures are dependent on different factors, which include:
- Water content, which affects skin’s comfort and elasticity,
- Oil (lipid) content, which affects skin softness
- Sensitivity level
Regardless of the kind of skin type you are born with, you can maintain healthy, supple-looking skin with the right skincare products and good habits.
Healing Touch’s facial treatments can make a world of difference to the health of your skin. To learn more, check here.